Thursday, October 4, 2012

GRA- Ivan and the Epigraph

At the beginning of The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Appplegate, we noticed the epigraph:

It is never too late to be what you might have been." ~George Eliot

We had a great discussion about it and we wanted to share our thoughts with all of you. Here are some of our thoughts about what the epigraph means and how it relates to us and possibly to the characters in the book:
"If you wanted to be a good person in life but you are bad you can quit making bad choices and then you are what you wanted to be. " ~JP
"I think the quote connects with the book because I think the gorilla named Ivan maybe wants to change who he is. Ivan lives in a mall in a domain. A domain is his territory in the story it's just his cage. He is the only gorilla in the mall. He has friends,  but they're not in his domain so he's lonely. His friends are Stella, Mack, and Bob. Stella is an elephant, Mack is a human, and Bob is a dog. Ivan probbaly wants to change who he is because if he changes who he is maybe people might like him more and they'll find hima gorilla, a friend." ~HW

"What that means is if you are a bus driver and you want to be a teacher it is never to late to go back to school and earn a teaching job. But what that means to Ivan is he doesn't like it in the circus he can change that." ~CK 
"I had a job that I've been in for five years, but did not finish collage, I could just go back to college and finish and get a master's degree. With the degree I could get a even better job than I had before, am I right? I really do think that this quote is really part of life, because if you're stuck in place you don't want to be in, you can always go back where you really wanted to be. So just think about it, have you ever been bad and then all of a sudden been good, I know I have, but the question is have you?" ~DC
"Some days you might want to be someone else, but when you think about it, it's best to be the best you you can be."~LNH
We would love to hear your thoughts too. Please leave a comment and tell us where you are from so that we can mark your location on our class' world map.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I love this quote and your thoughts on it, in fact, I love it so much that I have asked my 5th garders to also discuss what it means. i don't think we ever get too old to follow our passion.
    Best,
    Pernille Ripp
    Madison, WI, USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Miller aka @Okle_Miller
    School Librarian from Tampa, FL.

    I think you all really got to the spirit of the quote. I plan on asking my 4th graders about this too. We are loving reading about Ivan. I think a big change is coming for him soon. He might not know about Eliot's quote, but I think he is just the gorilla to make the quote a reality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am meeting with fifth graders tomorrow and we will do the same and share with you. Thank you.
    Cally
    Your students have really begun to have deep understanding.

    ReplyDelete